For those who are facing problem in Starting SQL Server Analysis Services, please follow the following steps to fix the issue.
- Open Control Panel
- Go to Regional and Language Options Locale Settings
- Change the Format, Location and Administrative from English(India) to English(United States)
- Restart the System
- Once your system is Restarted open the Registry Editor (from Start = > Run => regedit)
- Navigate to HKEY_USERS
- Look for LSA entry @ S-1-5-18
- Search for LocaleName
- Update the following keys
- Locale = 00000409
- LocaleName = en-US
- sCountry = United States
10. Open the SQL Server Configuration Manager, and start the SQL Server Analysis Services.
FYI: This is caused because Windows Vista is supporting en-IN whereas SQL Server 2005 does not provide support for en-IN, so while doing the SQL Server Surface Area configuration, if you try to run SQL Server Analysis Services it will give the following exception (can be found in Event Viewer)
The service cannot be started: Message-handling subsystem: The message manager for the default locale cannot be found. The locale will be changed to US English. Errors in the metadata manager. LOG file extension can be only .LOG. Message-handling subsystem: The message manager for the default locale cannot be found. The locale will be changed to US English. Message-handling subsystem: The message manager for the 16393 locale cannot be found. Internal error: Failed to generate a hash string.